Friday, September 08, 2006

The movie event of the what??

I don't watch a lot of TV, and I watch even fewer commercials. Finding something to flip to during the commercial is top priority when I sit down to watch something. Sometimes, though, I'll let my wife drive the remote and so I catch a few commercials... and then I remember why I usually skip them.

Anyway, we were watching TV yesterday and I saw a preview for a new movie with Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher called The Guardian. Apparently, it's a drama about some Coast Guard guys. Now, I've got nothing against the Coast Guard -- I've got a good friend who was in for several years. All the armed services have my deep respect. But a Coast Guard movie?? My first thought was, "who had the bright idea to cast Ashton in a dramatic role?" My second was, "hey, I bet this'll be almost as good as Striking Distance," which was so bad that Bruce Willis (who was the star of the thing) just came right out and said "it sucked" -- and I think the IMDB users are being waaaay too generous with their 5.3 stars out of 10... Anyway, then I heard the "sell" and that wrapped it all up for me. Are you ready for it?? Here goes...

"This will be the movie event of the fall!"

Wow... the movie event of... the year? the decade? the century?? Nope, just the movie event of the fall. And heck... in Memphis, fall only lasts a couple of weeks, if that. They may have just as well said the movie event of the week. They clearly have low expectations for it... who am I to argue with that? :)

I, of course, had no plans to see it in the first place, but that just kills me... the movie event of the fall.

No comments: